The most recent Google Sites release includes the following notable enhancements and bug fixes:
- A new "Embed Gadget" has been added to the Featured gadgets section. This gadget can be used to embed objects that would otherwise be stripped by the Google Sites editor. (It is my understanding that this gadget will auto-wrap iframes, object
tags, and embeding tags, but <script> tags are still not
supported.) The addition of this gadget paves the way to a future that may not require the use of custom gadgets. To access this gadget, select Insert >> More Gadgets >> Featured while editing a page.
- Even better than the addition of the "Embed Gadget" is that the Google Sites HTML editor will now automatically enclose many embedded objects in the "Embed Gadget" or an IFRAME gadget.
- Google Sites now allowing for uploading .html and .js files.
- Selecting Insert >> Calendar now provides the option to pick an existing calendar, rather than requiring you to know the URL.
- The built-in Navigation gadget now supports external links when used in manual mode. (Manual mode requires that you remove the check in the box next to Automatically organize my navigation.) Previously you could only select pages from within your site's hierarchy.
- The various issues that occurred when copying text into Sites from MS Word has been resolved.
- The issue with version comparisons has been resolved.
- Embedding presentations is once again possible, as the issue has been resolved.