posted Jun 2, 2009, 7:08 AM by Brian Johnson
updated Jul 4, 2011, 5:41 AM by Brian Johnson
Enabling AdSense for use with Google Sites is a simple, straightforward process. The bulk of the work is done from the Google Sites side, though you will need to approve Google Sites as a "partner website" in your AdSense control panel.
Have a question, but don't know where to start? Check out the Google Sites FAQ!
Enabling AdSense with Google Sites
- Log into your site
- Select More Actions >> Manage Site
- Locate and select the AdSense tab in the left navigational menu
- Click AdSense
- Choose whether to Create a new AdSense Account or Use an existing AdSense Account (for the remainder of this article, we will focus on using an existing AdSense account).
- Enter the email address associated with your AdSense account
- Enter the postal (zip) code or the last five (5) digits of the phone number associated with your AdSense Account
- Click Next
- If you've entered the appropriate information in the previous steps, you will now see a message stating that AdSense is Enabled for Your Site
Adding AdSense Ads to Your Google Site
Once you've enabled AdSense for use with Google Sites, you can begin to add ad blocks to your site. This can be done in one of two ways:
As a sidebar gadget:
- Log into your site
- Select More Actions >> Manage This Site
- Select AdSense from the left navigational menu
- Under the Site Sidebar section, click the Add button
Once the AdSense gadget has been added to your site's sidebar, you can edit the layout and style as you would any other gadget in your sidebar. Simply click the Edit Sidebar
(or, More Actions >> Manage This Site >> Site Layout
) and locate the AdSense
gadget in the Sidebar section. By default, it should appear at the bottom of your list of active gadgets.
You can then click the Edit
option to choose the "Ad Format, including whether to show images with your ad text, or only text.
As inline ad blocks:
In addition to adding ad blocks to the global sidebar of your Google Site, you can strategically place ads in the content area of any page(s) you choose. To place these ad blocks, do the following while editing a page:
- Place your cursor in the location you would like to place the ad block
- Select Insert >> AdSense
- Select the desired Ad Format and Display Style from the Insert Ad screen
- Select Save
Approving Google Sites as an AdSense Partner Website
You will likely need to approve Google Sites as a Partner Website with AdSense. Failure to do this may result in an inability to earn revenue through your site.
- Log into your AdSense account OR click the link in the confirmation email that AdSense will send to the email address you have on file.
- Look for the announcement stating that "You have requested to use AdSense on a partner website. In order to earn revenue on their site, you'll need to grant them access to your AdSense account."
- Click on the Review Account Access link in the announcement noted above
- Locate the sites.google.com entry. It should say PENDING
Select the Grant Access link
Why are my Ads not Appearing?
When you first add AdSense to your Google Site, you may not see the ads displayed. There are a couple of reasons for this:
- Your site must be public in order for the ads to display. If you are trying to use AdSense on a private Google Site, it will not work.
- After you initially configure AdSense to work with your Google Site, it can take approximately 24 hours for the ads to display.
- Reported June 8, 2009 (Google is working on a fix): There is a known bug with Google Sites that prevents Ads from being displayed if you are using the Simply White theme. Changing to any other available theme will allow your ad block(s) to be displayed. (NOTE: Changing themes will remove any customizations you have made to the appearance of your site.)