posted Sep 9, 2008, 5:38 AM by Brian Johnson
updated Jun 1, 2011, 6:38 AM by Brian Johnson
In order to make a site public
, for all the world to see:
- Navigate to your site.
- Sign in.
- Expand the More Actions menu and select Site Permissions.
- Under Permissions, click the Change link.
- In the Sharing Settings window, select the appropriate Visibility Option:
- Public on the web - Anyone on the internet can find and access. No sign-in required.
- Anyone with the link - Anyone who has the link can access. No sign-in required.
- Private - Only people explicitly granted permission can access. Sign-in required.
- Note: If your site is part of Google Apps, you will also see options for sharing your site with members of your Google Apps domain. These options open the site up to either ALL members of the domain, or just those members of the domain who have a link to the site.
- Click Save.
- Close the Sharing Settings window.
Granting Specific User Permissions
In addition to the above sharing options, you can grant additional permissions to specific people or groups. To do this, follow these steps:
NOTE: If you are using Sites as part of a Google Apps domain, it is possible that you will not have the option specified in step 4 above. If this is the case, you will need to log into your domain's management console (assuming you are the administrator of your domain) to make the following change before completing the steps above:
- Click in the Add People box.
- Begin typing names, email addresses or groups. (These can already exist in your contacts list, but it is not required that they do.)
- Select the appropriate permissions level:
- Is Owner - Full control of site
- Can Edit
- Can View
- Click the Share button so save changes.
(Be sure to replace YOUR-DOMAIN with your domain. ie// http://www.google.com/a/example.com.)
- Navigate to your domain's management console (dashboard): http://www.google.com/a/YOUR-DOMAIN
- Select the Services tab from the horizontal navigation
- In the left navigation, select the Sites option
- Under the "Sharing options" section, place a check in the box next to "Users can make sites public"
- Click the "Save changes" button.
Have a question, but don't know where to start? Check out the Google Sites FAQ!