Google recently released a new feature for Google Sites: Site Templates. With this feature, site Owners can now turn any site into a template from which other sites can be built.
Once a site has been created, it can be saved as a template that is accessible to all users on the Google Apps domain under which the template was created. There is also a public template gallery from which sites can be built.
How does it work?
- Log into the site as a site Owner
- Navigate to More Actions >> Manage Site >> General
- Scroll down and select the Publish this site as a template option:
- Enter the requested information for the new template: Site Template Name and Description
- When a user clicks the Create Site button, they will see an option to Browse the Gallery for More. Selecting this option will provide access to the gallery of templates for the Google Apps domain, as well as those in the public gallery.
- Another option for making use of the newly created template is by accessing the template site itself. (The template site can be accessed the same as any other site on an Apps domain.) When this method is used, a small notification is displayed across the top of the site that identifies the site as a template and provides a link from which a new site can be made.